What is Recyclemania?
Recyclemania is a national competition between colleges and universities in North America. From February to March, recycled material from participating higher education institutions are weighed and posted on the Recyclemania website. Utah State has participated for a number of years, so come join us in one of our biggest years yet!
This year we have an exciting schedule of Recyclemania Events! Check out our event calendar below and make sure to come support recycling at USU!
FEBRUARY 6 Recyclemania Kick-Off Tabling
FEBRUARY 18 Meatless Monday Film Series (Library 154)
FEBRUARY 28 True Blue Reuse Pop-Up Shop
We also have a special Recyclemania Scavenger Hunt! The goal is to save more and waste less. Post entries on Instagram by tagging USU Sustainability and the hashtag #USUdontbetrashy and tag @USUsustainability followed by the number of the task you completed. Be sure your settings allow us to see your entries! Email entries will be accepted from people with no social media accounts. By submitting the entries, you give us permission to post and use your photos. Only current USU students, faculty, or staff are eligible. All submissions are due by March 31 at 11:59 PM MDT. Winners announced April 8!
The grand prize winner will be chosen at random from people who complete six or more of the scavenger hunt list items below. The grand prizes are a reusable towel, To-go Ware, eco-friendly Stasher bag, reusable lunch container, and a reusable notebook that can upload notes onto any electronic device! (retail value: $85).
NOTE: The scavenger hunt prizes will only be available if at least 15 students participate overall.
- Choose to use a reusable bag at the store.
- Fix or patch something instead of replacing it. (Ask True Blue Reuse for help, or head to Aggie Blue Bikes to patch a tube.)
- Thrift instead of buying it new.
- Donate something instead of throwing it away. (May we suggest the True Blue Reuse Store?)
- Store your bulk products in a reusable container, e.g. Mason, Ball, or Weck jars.
- Check out a book from the library instead of buying a new book.
- Take a Mug Shot when you reuse a mug. (Dining Services will offer you a discount.)
- Get your Aggie Ice Cream in a cone or have any ice cream or froyo in a cone or reusable bowl.
- Eat off a real plate, reusable lunch container, or Dining Services reusable to-go container.
- Show us a water bottle filling station in action with your reusable container.
- Use your cloth napkin, reusable flatware, or reusable straw (in public!).
- Drop off fruit or vegetable waste at the compost drop-off location on the southeast side of BNR.
- Recycle something!
- Pick up a piece of litter. (Earn a bonus item if you post it on Litterati and let us know!)
- Make your own cosmetic or cleaning products. (Try looking up baking soda, coconut oil, or vinegar.)
- BONUS: Post any of these zero waste actions with a friend. We want to see all the Aggies who care.
Recycling on Campus
There are a lot of ways to recycle on campus, such as battery recycling drop-offs, composting, and plastic bag drop offs! Read through the list below for the different ways to recycle you stuff!
COMPOSTING There is a big yellow compost bin on the corner of Natural Resources- Biology, right by the sky walk.
BATTERY RECYCLING Throughout campus, you will find battery drop offs. Go to the research.usu.edu webpage for locations.
PLASTIC BAG RECYCLING You can srop off your plastic bags at the Campus Store and your local on campus housing office.
RECYCLING BINS There are recycling bins in every building on campus. Be sure that you only drop off cleaned plastic types 1 and 2, and collapse all of your cardboard boxes.
GLASS RECYCLING (OFF CAMPUS) These are the following glass recycling locations near USU: Justice Court (446 N 100 W),
Fraternal Order of Eagles (900 N 200 W), East of Subway (1750 N Main), and Logan Landfill (200 N 1400 W).
How to Minimize Waste as a College Student
We've heard a lot of great stories about reducing waste while in college, and have put together a list of our Top 10 Ways to Minimize Waste as a College Student!
- Buy a Water Bottle, or bring your own mug to on-campus dining locations for a discount on your coffee!
- Refrain from buying the most up-to-date technology; using your phone for as long as you can greatly reduces your carbon footprint.
- Go thrift shopping! There are so many on-trend and good-looking styles at many of the thrift stores in the valley.
- Compost, we even have a bin by the NR-Biology building for you to drop of your waste.
- Bring your own reusable takeout boxes and utincels when your dine out
- Clean out your recycable waste before throwing it out. More often than not it won't get recycled if it's still dirty.
- Minimize your plastic waste in the bathroom, like using bars of soap/shampoo
- Use glass and metal containers instead of plastic, they can be recycled more times than plastic can.
- Use reusable bags when shopping
- Use beeswax wrap for saving food instead of plastic baggies
Print these out and put them up in your room, dorm, or apartment to help you remember to stay sustainable!