USU’s Sustainability Council focuses carbon reduction efforts on local emissions and air quality problems. Air and vehicular travel by students, staff, and faculty comprises nearly one-fifth of USU's greenhouse gas emissions. For example, in 2012 USU travelers logged over 17 million miles in air travel and over 7 million miles by car.
What can we do about our transportation emissions?The Council started the Commuter Club to help people choose low-carbon options such as, walking, busing, biking, and carpooling, when possible. For travel by airplanes and automobiles, USU has a local carbon offset fund. On travel forms, travelers can voluntarily check a box to deduct $10 from their travel reimbursement as a tax-exempt donation to projects reducing USU’s greenhouse gases. Commuters can choose a monthly contribution from this site. If you have contributed to this fund, thank you for your generosity. Please continue to support our work in reducing emissions at USU.
Which projects do carbon offset donations support?Currently, the majority of donations support Zimride rideshare program on the USU Logan campus. Carbon offset funds also enable the Sustainability Council to support other programs and projects, including:
- USU's 4th Bike Challenge and 3rd win in the university category averted over 28,600 lbs. of CO2.
- USU Commuter Club launched in 2016 to link low-carbon commuters with transportation options.
- Drive Electric Northern Utah program has facilitated approximately 100 sign-ups and 20 electric vehicle purchases.
- The USU Campus Reporter app is now available on iOS and Android, allowing people to report water and energy waste.
- Energy Wars expanded from USU Housing to academic buildings to encourage energy efficiency across campus.
More On USU Carbon Offset Fund
We owe a great deal of thanks to Sharyn Bradfield (Manager of Finance Systems) and Megan Maples (Travel Lead) in the USU Controllers’ Office and Ryan Merrill (Database Administrator) in USU’s Information Technology Office. They’re the ones who figured out how to make the program operational on the Travel forms.