Energy Wars! Reduce energy & compete to win prizes from October to November!
Why Would I Reduce My Energy Consumption?
Many USU students and employees do not pay their energy bills on campus, but they are using energy. Our energy consumption contributes to the Cache Valley's air quality and greenhouse gas emissions. Practice habits that will improve air quality in Logan and save money that you'd rather seen spent elsewhere.
Are Prizes Involved?
- Every week through October, areas that complete the Energy Wars checklist provided by Residence Life will receive $25.
- The top area will receive a trophy and prize.
Academic Building Division
- At the end of the competition, the top building will get a breakfast and trophy.
What Can I Do?
Save energy in the small things you do. Small changes by many people in the hall add up to big changes. Make some changes, and ask your friends to join.
- Skip the space heater. If your area has hot/cold issues, contact facilities customer service.
- Turn off the lights and electronics when not in use.
- Unplug electronics when they're not in use.
- Use natural lighting.
- Use compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs in lamps.
- Take the stairs.
- Dress for the weather and adjust the thermostat.
- Take shorter showers to reduce energy used to heat hot water.
- Wash clothes in cold water in full loads.
- Air dry clothes.
- Report res hall energy inefficiencies to the desk, e.g. drafty windows or doors.
How Do You Decide Which Building Wins?
Since each building is unique with different numbers of students and different amenities, each hall will compete against its average energy consumption baseline. The area that reduces its consumption by the largest percentage compared to the last two years will win in housing. Academic buildings, likewise, will compete base on their percentage reduction from a baseline.
Who is competing?
Energy Wars started in Housing around 2010. Starting in 2016, academic buildings began joining the competition.Check the leaderboard for buildings competing this year.
Who is winning?
- Username: energy_wars
- Password: energy_wars_2019
- Domain: (Blank)
- 2019: Mountain View Tower, West Campus, Blue Square, SLC, and South Campus
- 2018: Living Learning Community
- 2017: Living Learning Community
- 2016: Living Learning Community
- 2015: Student Living Center
- 2014: Living Learning Community
- 2013: South Campus
- 2019: Engineering
- 2018: Education
- 2017: Natural Resources
- 2016: Old Main